LIFE HAPPENS...HOW YOU REACT WILL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Transfusions


Once again, Odette was in need of a platelet transfusion. Her count was at 7 (normal is 150 to 400) and she was getting random bruises appearing, not to mention that ones that were where she got her nupogen shot or rolled over her feeding tube. So today while getting the transfusion, I realized that I have ever explained how transfusions of blood products works. Remember that this is just my understanding. I am sure that stuff is a little different than how I explain things.

Before you can even order blood products, you need to first now how much the patient weighs (7.4 kilos-this hasn't changed since we were admitted) and her blood type (O positive). Then the doctor will figure out the amount she needs and order from the blood bank. Once we get it at the hospital, the nurses have to do some double checking to make sure it is the right type and okay and then we can start the infusion. It is always good to double check that you are giving a patient the right stuff-kind of like measure twice, cut once!

Odette is hooked up with her central line for the infusion. For platelets, they are sticky so they are run in quickly, over about a half an hour. Red blood cells are run in over a longer period of time, about two hours, because its a lot of liquid for the body to absorb. During any transfusion, vitals need to be taken frequently to make sure that the body is not having an adverse reaction to the new materials being put into the body. Vitals consist of temperature, oxygen level, heart rate and blood pressure.

It is a simple procedure, but a very vital one. Most people can donate blood, but you can't choose whom the blood goes to. You can donate at any blood donation bank and it only takes a couple of minutes and it can be done frequently. You can also donate platelets, but I am told that it takes a couple of hours to do this. I am so thankful that so many people care enough to take the time out of their busy schedules to donate, especially since Ken and I do not have blood that the banks want! Thanks for helping save Odettes' life in a way that we can't! Keep donating so we can continue to transfuse!!

2 comments:

  1. Look how much medical "stuff" you have learned over this process. See how smart you are! I wish I had blood they liked. I'm in the same "bank" you and Ken are in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, on a positive note, you probably know more than the nurses! I can't believe how much you have to know to help your little princess! It's very cool to think about how medicine is so advanced! I'm sorry she had to have another transfusion, but very glad that it's a helpful thing for her! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete