Better late than never...
For an FHE before Thanksgiving, we made a thankful tree.
The idea was that every day the kids and I could write down something different that we are thankful for.
However, it didn't exactly work that way.
Once they started thinking about what they were grateful for, they just wanted to keep on writing.
So much so that they were trying to write faster than the other because they needed more than their allotment of leaves.
It was wonderful to me to watch the kids say the things that they are thankful for.
Even if they did seem a little silly, like chap stick. (Josselyn)
It reminded me that there are plenty of even little things that get overlooked that I should be more grateful for and not take for granted. I don't think I could live without chap stick!
"But why should we be so thankful when life seems so unfair and not going our way?" they say a few days after they can't write fast enough.
Here are a couple of reasons I told them. Maybe you have more to add.
- Because "a thankful heart is a happy heart." We are all much more happy when we are grateful. And who doesn't want to be happy?
- "Count your many blessings, see what God has done." I definitely want to see what God has done for me each and every day.
- President Monson's talk teaches us many reasons why we should be grateful. My favorite, "the Savior gave thanks for what they had-and a miracle followed." I know that miracles do happen when you are filled with thanksgiving.
We are all blessed.
Each and every day no matter our circumstances we all have much to be grateful for.
I LOVE this tradition! Maybe I'll have to copy you next year. :) And I always sing "a thankful heart is a happy heart" to my kiddos. Gotta love VeggieTales! (And hear hear to the chapstick -- It definitely makes my thankful list!)
ReplyDeleteI love your thankful tree! It's so cute! What a great idea! We are all truly blessed and have so much to be thankful for!
ReplyDelete