LIFE HAPPENS...HOW YOU REACT WILL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Should have known

You would think that by now I would know that "the plans" that are presented each day to me by the doctors never go as they explain.  Instead of the plan like I talked about previously, this is what has been happening.

Odette got her central line out.  When she woke up from the surgery, she was right back to normal.  The nurses say she opened her eyes, sat up, started waving to everyone and talking away.  She instantly won the hearts of all the surgery team.  Instead of having a PICC line put in while she was out, they were only able to put in an IV.  This, was put in her hand, her thumb sucking hand.  So, once we were taken back to her room, which she doesn't like, she wanted to suck her thumb.  After screaming for half of the day, because the doctor thought she would just get used to it, I convinced them to change it to the other hand.  Once again we had happy baby Odette.  This was one where the poke was worth it!

Since she didn't get a PICC line, she has been rudely awoken each morning for blood draws.  You can not use the IV to draw blood.  It is only used to give her fluids and medicines.  They informed me that we were waiting to get the PICC line until her blood cultures came back negative for 48 hours.  This finally happened yesterday, so we were scheduled for this morning to get the new line placed.  I was so happy, Odette could quit being the human pin cushion!  However, this changed as well because they were unable to place the line because "she is too wiggly even with the anesthesia".  Personally I think the IV lady was just not the best for the job.

Now we are waiting to see when we can try again to get this line in, her counts to go up and then go home.  For my sanity and everyone else that resides at my house, I pray it is in the near future.  Probably Monday or Tuesday since her counts are zero, but then again, they are in dire need of some rooms so you never know!

1 comment:

  1. I really hate when people don't believe you know your own child. I'm sorry you had to basically argue half the day before they listened to you to change the IV hand.
    You are right some people are more suited to placing IVs or PICC etc. I hope you get the nurse with the steadiest hands.

    ReplyDelete