LIFE HAPPENS...HOW YOU REACT WILL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

FRUSTRATED!!!

Odette has been in the hospital for the past three days because she has not been able to keep any food down. She can keep pedialite down but nothing else. She has awful sores in her mouth and throat, from the chemo she just had, made worse from all the puking she has done. It is so bad that she has been puking up blood. She is in obvious pain and it is worse when you lay her down flat on her back. If you keep her sitting up by holding her or sleeping in her carseat, she does much better. Now, most of you who have had a baby know what it sounds like she has. Reflux right? Well, the doctor when they discharged us last took her off some of her medicines. I didn't really think about it because she is on so many other ones that do similar things. Doctors are suppose to know what they are doing, right?! Wrong! (Sorry Amy, I am sure that Aaron has a good amount of knowlege!) We finally conviced them that her symptoms today were like reflux and if there was any medicine we could try for it...you know what they prescribed? The one that they said we didn't need any more of when we came home. Hopefully this drug will work so that Odette can eat, be happy and come home. She is so miserable and in so much pain...and to think that she didn't need to be! Obviously medicine is a guessing game, but how frustrating that the doctors didn't think of this earlier by looking at her chart! AAAAAAAAAh!

2 comments:

  1. oh, poor girl! I hope that the med's work for her. I can't imagine having to figure things like that out. Good thing you are a great mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my dear Steph, are her only continuity in care. Because of the fact that you are with Odette and her care, day in and day out, you know her best...you remember everything she's on and everything that's happening and how it affects her better than anyone. Try as they may, doctors don't know everything. A good doctor will listen to your input and consider the things you think and feel and will care about your mother's instincts. You have to speak up when something seems to make sense, not make sense, when you think there's something else going on... and keep saying it until they listen. I kept a journal of things for Shane like rashes and what meds he was on at the time and reflux and what his feeds were at the time and stuff like that so I could maybe find correlations. Did they give you a "care book"?...a binder to keep all of Odette's care, doctors, phone numbers, appointments, insurance stuff, etc in one place. That was helpful to me and I took it with me when he was in the hospital. Let me know if you don't have something like that and maybe I can get you one.

    It sounds like you are learning to be the mama bear for Odette. That's exactly what you'll have to be and I can't think of a better Mother for her. Love you.--Shannon

    ReplyDelete