So much for a stay at home for a week! On Friday, Odette started to act out of the ordinary. She started to shake some, which I blew it off as she was cold because, amazing enough it was colder in our house than the hospital-a whopping 72! She wasn't puking, but her interest in "real" food was gone, which usually indicates sores in her mouth, but we are use to her not eating much. Then, what made us "freak out"-like the kids say- is that her legs started to turn colors; red, purple, blue and then back to normal. We even thought that maybe it was her legs were going to sleep because of how we were holding her, but when she began to cry and we couldn't calm her down and other parts of her were changing colors and a sick feeling settled in with both Ken and I we decided to race off to the emergency room.
It was 8:00 at night and Ken took Brandt and Odette up to Primary Children's Emergency room. Brandt's job was to make sure that Odette didn't stop breathing on the way. (I think he was a little scared, but felt like he was needed and important to his baby sister.) I took the other girls and went to the airport to pick up my mom who was coming for my cousins wedding the next day. Ken made it to the hospital in about 1/2 an hour-I don't even want to know.
After making the trip to the airport, we all went to the hospital and sat in the ER room for a while before I took the family home. At the time of leaving, they were thinking that she was just going through withdrawals from the many drugs she has been on, and I hadn't given her all of her doses all night because she slept and so did I. (They do say as needed and in the past this is what we have done.) By midnight we were home, but Ken stayed up at the hospital. At 4 am he was finally put into a real room so he could at least try and get some sleep because Odette had people baffled. After a blood draw in the morning, because they couldn't get it to work earlier, we discovered that her counts had dropped and she had gotten sores, so she was in awful pain and just felt like crap. The changing of colors is semi-normal.
So we will see if she comes home, or we just hang out at the hospital until Wednesday when she will start chemo again. Don't take anything for granted...things can change in an instant and you will be wishing you had done something different. I am glad we got to spend 24 hours together anyway. We had a great time and Ken made some excellent peach pies! Obviously we didn't get to the yard, but what is really important anyway?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad she is okay... I know that's relative...Hope they get it all figured out and that she feels better soon. Big brothers are awesome. They can be such great helpers. Good for Brandt.
ReplyDelete