The Good:
Odette is eating lots of real food-not just little nibbles, but cups at a time of cream of wheat, jello, mashed potatoes, fruits, veggies and her favorite, ICE CREAM! She is a true member of our family if she'll eat a lot of ice cream!
Ken had a great time bonding with Odette over the weekend. She was so happy and well behaved for him. She must have lost her grumpy bone...or I took it home with me!
Odette's counts are still up high enough so we are able to take her for walks in the hallway. She loves visiting with all the nurses and has made some friends with the other little patients who are also out and about. She is such a social child. When the hospital door opens, if she doesn't go out, she is not a happy camper!
We got to spend some time all as a family this weekend while the nurse watch Odette. It was weird to not have the baby with us, but it was great to be together with Ken and the other kids.
The Bad:
We are still in the hospital for a couple more weeks because Odette still has to endure 4 shots of chemo, a spinal and a day of chemo.
The Ugly(or just plain scary!):
Odette's central line broke off yesterday! They performed a routine patch job and we were just waiting for the glue to dry. I was holding her while Brandt blew bubbles. I felt my hand get wet, looked down and saw blood dripping out onto Odettes clothes and my hand. I quickly pinched the tube while Ken leaped across the room to grab the clamp and Kathleen pushed the nurse button! It was crazy to witness, but all is okay now--or so the nurses and doctor assure us. The first patch was just too little, so it just slipped right off. Of course in mine and Kens head we are thinking-what if that happened at night or while driving home or... I guess that we shouldn't let our minds wander there, but inevitably they do! They did another patch job and so far it is holding, but I am checking it frequently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Our family thinks about you all the time. We're praying for you to make it through the bad and the scary and to be able to enjoy the good. We love you!
ReplyDeleteDon't you know that when the patch is done by Yours Truly, it will hold FOREVER??? LOL
ReplyDeleteHad so much fun with your sweet girl today! She was just like one of the gang!
See you soon!
Andi
I think you are doing an amazing job handling all the stress.....I'm happy that she's in such good care!
ReplyDelete