LIFE HAPPENS...HOW YOU REACT WILL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Open your Eyes

At the beginning of the month many people said that they were going to try and come up with something different every day to be grateful for since it is the month of Thanksgiving. A few people also commented that this might be a difficult thing. I was very disturbed by this comment. Honestly there aren't at least 30 things to be grateful for? (I know for me 30 is easy since there are that many people in my family!) Obviously the song "Count your Many Blessings" needs to be sung a few times. Over the past five months, I have sung this song plenty and my eyes have been opened to many "hidden" things in my life. Not that they were ever hidden, I just had my eyes closed to the many great and wonderful things that are around me.

Each year for family home evening we have the kids write things or draw pictures of what they are grateful for and then we hang them on the front door so that we are reminded many times a day of the good things, which are easily overlooked when burdens, frustration and despair are so rampant in the world (and sometimes your own home). I wanted to share a few things that my kids are grateful for.

JOSSELYN: the moon, princess movies and crowns
KATHLEEN: outside, doctor, medicine, family, food, house and moonlight
BRANDT: mom, dad, sisters, dog, bed, house, food and mints

A while ago in a Relief Society lesson, it was about gratitude and we made a list of things. I reflect on this list frequently when life gets stinky and it has helped to make me see life as much better. I am also much happier when I reflect on all the things I am thankful for.
  1. a husband who works incredibly hard for his family. Everything he does is trying to help me and the children be happy and comfortable.
  2. a very smart husband that can fix almost anything.
  3. four beautiful children that keep me smiling and jumping every day. That means I am getting my exercise!
  4. a mother who taught me compassion, endurance and forgiveness.
  5. a father that taught me hard work and independence.
  6. a beautiful home that I get to take care of that has floors that can be mopped, doors that can be locked and toilets that can be flushedn (if the kids ever figure this one out!).
  7. a dryer so that my clothes don't have to smell like the neighbors BBQ dinner.
  8. visiting teachers that spiritually and emotionally support me.
  9. temples that make my family forever.
  10. a talent to love and understand others.
  11. that I love service.
  12. knowledge that I have a Heavenly Father who has a plan for me.
  13. a Savior who sacrificed for me and knows all the pains I endure.
  14. the ability to repent.
  15. friends who check up on me daily and bring smiles to my face.
  16. my health.
  17. I can read.
  18. my husband has a job with great insurance when we need it the most.
  19. medical research that gives my daughter the best chances of fighting cancer.
  20. a pull out bed at the hospital--can you imagine if I had to use a sleeping bag on the floor!
  21. my talent of sewing so I can make modest clothes for my beautiful daughters.
  22. live in the United States, even if I don't like the current boss.
  23. running water so I don't need to go to a well or worry about kids falling into one! (I'm terrified of water when it comes to little people.)
  24. public education so that I don't have to be an expert at everything...yet.
  25. Grandmothers who teach me all that they know about gardening and canning, not to mention unlimited amounts of hugs.
  26. a grocery store not far away so when my garden grows nothing but weeds we can still eat.
  27. a years worth of pretty much everything...
  28. chocolate to make my frustrations melt away.
  29. text messaging so that we can talk to Ken's deaf brother easily. (and many others!)
  30. a vacuum cleaner. How else would we take care of the carpet? (the dog might work I guess?!)
The list could continue on and on. What do you see in your life when you take time to open your eyes and look around? You might be surprised, so go ahead and try it!

2 comments:

  1. When we were struggling with infertility, I was having a particularly rough week. One day, Adam sat me down on the couch, handed me a blank sheet of paper and told me to count my blessings. (Name them one by one!) It took me a while to stop rolling my eyes and actually start looking around at my blessings, but before I knew it, the page -- front and back -- was completely filled up. We taped it to the mirror in the bathroom so that we both could see it regularly. That list was the turning point for me. Everything was so much easier to endure when I remembered how truly blessed I was.

    I'm grateful for you, and for you reminding me of this. I love your list ... especially #28! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful wonderful post :)

    vanessa from inevergrewup.net

    ReplyDelete