LIFE HAPPENS...HOW YOU REACT WILL DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Another Trip

This last week has been a difficult one for Odette.  She seemed to be suffering from having surgery, but just in the evenings.  During the days she was happy and playful and the one puke a day didn't seem like such a big deal.  Last night after getting the kids to bed, Odette grabbed the thermometer and handed it to her daddy.  She thinks that all her medical supplies are her toys and she wanted to play with it.  He took her temp just for fun and that is when the craziness began once again.  SURPRISE-her temperature was 100.6.  Not high for a normal child, but for her, it was a trip to the Emergency Room.  Our emergency bag was grabbed and out the door we went, leaving crying/sleeping children behind with Grandma.  Once again our families life is not in our hands.

When we were in the ER, they hooked her up to all sorts of things.  She had at least 5 cords/tubes connected to her.  They suctioned her nose because it had been a little runny.  (She is getting teeth.)  Her oxygen wouldn't go above 85 so they started her on some oxygen.  At midnight they decided they would be keeping her at least overnight because her counts were so low.  They dropped a tremendous amount in 6 days, which has me really worried.  She also had a very high heart rate, which can be caused by the fever, low red blood cells or a virus-maybe all three!  No matter how you looked at it, she was feeling miserable.  Crazy since she was so happy when we first discovered the fever.
Odette is such a trooper.  By the time we got into her room it was about 2 am.  She slept off and on the rest of the night.  Today the doctors informed us that her chest x-rays looked clear-no bacterial infection.  She has a respiratory infection, similar to RSV, but hopefully more mild.  She will be starting some nupogen shots to get her counts to go up and will be on oxygen until she can keep her levels about 90 on her own.  She has smiled very little today and you can tell she doesn't feel so great.  Even when her dad brought her the bunny to cheer her up she poked at it and then proceeded to suck her thumb and try to sleep.  I am sure at home she will love to wrestle the bunny.  Hopefully home will be soon...

3 comments:

  1. If I hug my monitor, will you and Odette feel it? I hope so. I just want to squeeze you both. Hang in there. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there to hug you and Odette, and help with your family! I hope things continue to get better! You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture of Odette and the bunny. Hope things continue to get better and that you are home soon! Hopefully we all get healthy around here so we can come play soon!!

    ReplyDelete